I set out to create a cute little shift dress! Shift dresses for me are difficult because of my body shape. I haven’t been able to find one that looks right, so I decided to make one myself. Welcome to the McCall’s M7544 hack!
It’s not my favorite (to be honest it kind of looks like a 1960’s maternity dress and the seersucker fabric didn’t help). It’s still quite cute and oh so very comfortable.
Pockets are a must for me anytime I make a dress or skirt. And as usual, they work here as well.
I made version A, but instead of making the pin tucks, I gathered the front. I think if I make it again I will do the pin tucks. I also lowered the neck line.
I made a few adjustments. I did a FBA (full bust adjustment) and a upper BSA (broad shoulder adjustment). Although this pattern has front gathers I still chose to do a FBA. The reason for this is because with a full chest, the gathers would have looked quite pulled apart. To maintain the design’s drape, a FBA is needed. This of course added darts which I think helps shape the dress.
I lengthen the top about ten inches (from the hem) and I made a 2 inch hem.
As I was writing this post, I realized I didn’t smile not once! In the inside I thought I was looking cool! Oh well…
If you are looking for a quick, easy, and comfy dress, this definitely fits the bill. Even though this dress is a little outside my style, I’m still enjoying wearing it. Couple of things I would have done differently…
- Make it out of a fabric with more drape.
- Do the damn pin tucks!
- Lower the neck line even further. I think this dress needs a little cleavage.
Sew happy! See yeah soon.
Leave a Reply